A baby food recall just issued by the FDA may have some of the most stomach-churning details I’ve read in awhile:
“Swollen or leaking pouches may indicate problems with the product, including possible contamination by bacteria that can cause illness, or that the packaging has been compromised and is at risk of bacterial contamination.”
Makes you want to run out and buy some baby food, doesn’t it?
The recalled food is made by Happy Baby, and it’s a mix of the baby and toddler lines that parents should be throwing out. The recall covers:
* HAPPYTOT Green bean, pear & peas, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00127 9;
* HAPPYTOT Sweet potato, carrot, apple & cinnamon, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00128 6;
* HAPPYTOT Spinach, mango & pear, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00129 3;
* HAPPYTOT Butternut squash & apple, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00130 9;
* HAPPYTOT Banana, peach, coconut & prunes, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00131 6;
* HAPPYTOT Banana, peach & mango, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00132 3
* HAPPYBABY Mango, NET WT. 3.5 OZ. (99g), UPC 8 52697 00134 7
* HAPPYBABY Spinach Mango Pear, NET WT. 3.5 OZ. (99g), UPC 8 52697 00139 2
* HAPPYBABY Apricot Sweet Potato, NET WT. 3.5 OZ. (99g), UPC 8 52697 00136 1
The foods are sold in plastic pouches with plastic caps, and none are set to expire until late this year or even next year, so check through the stuff way back on your shelf. No illnesses have been reported so far, and Happy Baby’s CEO Shazi Isram said in a company statement that this is a voluntary precautionary recall.
Says Isram, “As a mother-to-be who’s expecting my first child literally in the next few days, I am even more intensely aware of how important it is to serve your children the healthiest and safest food available on the market. Please know that we are taking every step to fix this situation and are working quickly to ensure that these new and incredibly popular pouch products will soon be available to your family. We need to take it one step at a time to make doubly sure our high standards for our product integrity is upheld. Despite this hiccup, our dedication to your family’s safety and health is unwavering.”
If your pouches are leaking or swollen, the FDA advises you keep them away not just from baby but from your pets as well and wash your hands if you’ve handled the packages.
Happy Baby directs parents to return them to the store for a full refund or contact them at 718-852-7606 or email@example.com.