The Top 10 Family Vacation Spots for Summer 2011Meredith Carroll
Memorial Day is around the corner, which means family summer vacation planning is in full swing. Choices are abundant, but only you know which destination will best suit the needs of your family (and budget).
Here’s a list of 10 of the hottest (pun intended) locations for families this summer season:
1. Orlando: M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E. Rates for the No. 1 family destination and the surrounding theme parks are competitive in the summer, probably because it’s so hot (literally) down there. But if your family can stand the heat, there’s no small amount of fun to be had.
2. Cancun: Not just for MTV’s spring break anymore, the Mexican destination has reinvented itself as a great locale for families.
3. Honolulu: Hawaii is a hot spot for families traveling this summer, and no destination is more convenient than Honolulu, particularly since direct flights are available from so many U.S. cities. Waikiki Beach — here we come!
4. Maui: If the last time you visited or thought about Maui was on your honeymoon, time to think again. The beautiful beaches — from white to black to red — are a great match for active families.
5. Kauai: Are family vacations not complete unless you and yours can spend some time getting reacquainted with nature? Kauai has a glorious coastline, secluded beaches and is an ideal local for nature lovers.
6. Bahamas: It’s better — and can be less expensive — in the Bahamas. Cheap flights to Nassau can make white-sand beaches and affordable hotels the locale of choice for your family this summer.
7. Kona: Do you want snow and sand all in one? The Big Island has snow-capped mountains, rainforests and an active volcano (the world’s most active, actually). It’s the most diverse island in the state, and is a fabulous choice for families with a sense of adventure.
8. Puerto Vallarta: There’s a reason why Puerto Vallarta is Mexico’s second-most-popular destination for families this summer. There are great deals to be had in general in Mexico, and PV is an accessible city with a little something for everyone.
9. Turks & Caicos: If you’re longing for blue waters like only the Caribbean can wash ashore, this might be the season to discover Turks and Caicos, which has been an island locale gaining in popularity for a while with families.
10. Dominican Republic: The D.R. is nothing if not diverse in terms of resorts for all budgets and styles. Direct flights are aplenty, so traveling with little kids shouldn’t be too tough.
Local Adventures: The 10 Best Amusement Parks for Kids!