Very, Very Manteresting… Site Is Misogynist, Yet Motivational!Carolyn Castiglia
Manteresting – which is basically Pinterest but FOR DUDES – is the talk of the web this morning, and rightfully (righteously?) so, bro. The site is filled with curious contradictions, like the urge for men to respect women and be good dads next to the option to “re-nail” (ahem, we get it) photos of “hot Asian chicks.” Dig a little further into the manly “good-guy” messaging, though, and you’ll still find misogyny alive and well. Most of the manspirational quotes you’ll see on the site come from a place of patriarchal privilege, and some of the “nails” (ugh) are flat-out frightening. Best part? The guys “nailing” this stuff probably don’t even recognize it.
Here are some examples of what you’ll find on the site:
1. WHAT MEN SHOULD TEACH THEIR DAUGHTERS: This nail says, “We need to teach our daughters the difference between a man who flatters her and a man who compliments her. A man who spends money on her and a man who invests in her. A man who views her as property and a man who views her properly. A man who lusts after her and a man who loves her. A man who believes he is God’s gift to women and a man who remembers a woman was God’s gift to man. And then teach our sons to be that kind of man.” Yes, I get it. Women are not property. We’re a gift to you. Whew! Thanks for mansplaining that one, Manteresting!
2. PICS OF HALF-NAKED SEXY WOMEN: Like this girl dressed in “adventure gear” posing in the middle of a wheat field. Lots of adventure in the middle of a wheat field, guys! Can’t wait to re-nail this chick.
3. PICS OF FULLY-CLOTHED SEXY WOMEN: You know, classy hot girls, like this woman bending over so her boobs look bigger in her classy, “not slutty” wool coat.
4. THE IMPERATIVE TO KEEP PICTURES OF SLUTTY WOMEN OFF MANTERESTING: See this sign.
5. WOMEN IRONING IN THEIR SKIVVIES: Yo. Nailed it! Yes, this IS what women really want for Valentine’s Day!
6. CARRIE UNDERWOOD.
7. MAN SKILLS: Man Skills “is a rugged collection of modern & classic advice from scarred experts. If you find yourself wrestling an alligator or needing to calm a hysterical baby this one is a must-read.” Baby calming = man skill. Alligator wrestling = NOT FOR CHICKS. Noted.
8. MEAT: Mostly fried in potato chips.
A lot of the stuff is genuinely cool, like this tree bookcase and this recipe for Dorito chicken. (Sorry. I’m only human.) But this “funny” image of a white male baseball player about to “hit” an unsuspecting black woman in the face (it’s a statue – haha) struck me to my core. Yes, the joke would still work if the baseball player was a black female and the unsuspecting person was a white guy, but you’ve never seen that image and you never will – and if you did – it would mean militant black feminists are getting uppity, not “oops, haha, isn’t this hilarious?”
A friend asked why these men couldn’t just put stuff on Pinterest, and that photo is exactly why. Manteresting is a “safe” space for fratty bro humor to thrive. But not without criticism from the crafty feminist DIY set.