WTF?! Teacher Fired for PUTTING OUT FIRE at Day CareMonica Bielanko
Raise your hand if you would want your child’s daycare teacher to leave the kids unattended for a moment while she went to investigate the smell of smoke and ultimately put out a fire.
Thought so. Me too.
That’s exactly what Michelle Hammack did and she was fired for it. As The Huffington Post reports, the Florida day care teacher smelled something burning and found a small fire in an oven of a nearby room. After putting out the fire she rushed back to her class, woke her napping kids and got them all outside.
According to WTEV-TV, hours after putting out the fire, Hammack was fired. Her employer, Olga Rozhaov, tells the TV station Hammack never should have left the children unsupervised.
“I fired her only because she left her room…It’s not acceptable, and if anybody else does the same thing, I will fire again. I will fire them. No question.”
Rozhaov goes on to explain that her first priority is children. Really? So you’d rather have her the teacher huddle in the room with all the kids as fire rages closer and closer? What is wrong with people? Even if it was technically wrong to leave the room, don’t you think an exception could be made for extenuating circumstances?
This kind of crap makes me insane. How about we try to use a little common sense here? Putting out a potentially dangerous fire is putting the children first, even if you have to leave them unattended for a few seconds to do so.
What about you? Do you think Hammack should’ve been fired? A petition has popped up garnering signatures in support of Hammack. You can see Hammack’s story in the video below.
Image source: thefw.com
Read more from Monica on Babble:
- Be Naked When I Get Home: 25 Brilliant Signs About Love
- 25 of the Most Hilarious Recreated Childhood Photos
- Top 10 Cutest Disney Couples