The moment I became a mother, I felt an instant connection to other mothers. Not only my own mom, but also my friends who already had children and even strangers I saw on the street. It was as if we suddenly had this shared, unspeakable bond; one that would last a lifetime.
It’s this same connection that has often bonded me to friends with kids the same age as mine. Right from the start, I found myself to drawn them, just so I could talk about the things going on in my life with my daughter, and they could open up about what’s going on in theirs. It felt so good to be able to express just how I was feeling and know that someone knew exactly what I meant, because we’d both gone through something similar.
In honor of that unity, I’ve rounded up some of my favorite quotes on motherhood. Each and every one makes me nod my head in agreement, because I can completely relate. Hopefully, you can, too.
1. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” — Robert Browning
I just love this quote, because my love for my children truly is never ending.
2. “Being a mother is not about what you gave up to have a child, but what you’ve gained from having one.” — Unknown
I don’t think I ever look back and think that I am missing so much from before I had my children because I am so much happier with life now that I have them.
3. “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” — Cardinal Mermillod
This is true not only as a mother myself, but as a daughter as well.
4. “There is no way to be a perfect mother, but a million ways to be a good one.” — Jill Churchill
No matter how hard we try, we are never going to be “perfect” moms. But the love we have for our children makes us good moms.
5. “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” — Angela Schwindt
I always tell everyone that my life never really began until I had my children.
6. “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed.” — Linda Wooten
I learned so much about myself the first month that I became a mom — and continue to, with each new day.
7. “I don’t remember who said this, but there really are places in your heart you don’t know exist until you love a child.” — Anne Lamott
Oh, how true this is. My heart is so full with the love I have for my children.
8. “Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” — Lin Yutang
So much yes to this. Being a mother is by far the best gift I have ever received.
9. “The joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.” — Elder M. Russell Ballard
It’s true. Although some days are stressful, I wouldn’t trade any of them for anything.
10. “There will be so many times you feel like you’ve failed. But in the eyes, heart, and mind of your child you are super mom.” — Stephanie Precourt
I sure hope that my kids always see me as their super mom.
11. “Being a mom has made me so tired. And so happy.” — Tina Fey
I so get this. No matter how much (or little) sleep I get, motherhood has made me the happiest I have ever been.
12. “There’s a story behind everything, but behind all your stories is always your mother’s story, because hers is where yours begins.” — Mitch Albom
This just hits me right in the heart. I love that my children’s stories always begin with me.
13. “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” — Victor Hugo
One of my favorite things to do is have my children sleep in my arms, just so I can sweetly stare at them while they’re asleep. It’s so peaceful and comforting — I’m not sure there’s a better feeling in the world.More On