Putting a child down to sleep and just walking away is easier said than done.
No matter how tired I am, or how much work I need to do, I can’t help but stop and stare at my sleeping babies. Even my oldest baby, who is 4, is just precious to look at — and now with my newborn, I have a hard time looking away. I trace her features with my eyes, I follow the lines of her lips, I gently swoop my fingertips over her eyelids, then brush my hand on her cheek. She may flutter with baby delight or let out a sigh and re-snuggle back in my arms. I dare anyone to try to resist that. It’s pretty much impossible.
Here are a few sweet (and funny!) quotes about sleeping babies.
1. “A mother’s arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them.” — Victor Hugo
Yes, Victor pretty much got that right. Babies have never slept better than when in our arms. It makes me feel as if we are one.
2. “Babies smile in their sleep because they’re listening to the whispering of angels.” — Unknown
My husband is always amazed at how much our newborn smiles in her sleep. He asks, “I wonder what she sees?” I like to think she is hearing and seeing angels that keep her company as she sleeps.
3. “People who say they ‘sleep like a baby’ usually don’t have one.” — Leo J. Burke
I couldn’t resist this one — and how true it is!
4. “Kiss your children goodnight, even if they are already asleep.” — H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
I do, I do! It’s impossible to leave a room and not sneak in a few more kisses from your little ones. I told my son once that I kiss him when he sleeps, and he said, “I know Mami, that’s why I sleep better.”
5. “Without enough sleep, we all become tall 2-year-olds.” — JoJo Jensen
So very true! While we may adore our sleeping babies, if we don’t get enough sleep ourselves, we turn into them — bedhead and all.
6. “Quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep. I’m rocking my baby, and babies don’t keep.” — Anonymous
In other words, cherish every moment. I especially like the bit about leaving the cleaning and scrubbing for mañana!