I am just crazy for baby names! Which is why I love this time of year, when we find out which baby names are becoming trendy, and which are losing steam. Leading baby names website, Nameberry, has just released the most-searched and most-viewed names on their site this year — and some are the results may surprise you!
Instead of just rehashing what the top names of babies born the year before were, this tally shows what names expectant parents are looking at for their not-yet-born babies. It’s like fortune telling. Well, sort of. Being interested in a name or wanting to know it’s meaning, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be used. But, regardless, this list is a big indicator in baby name trends. And I love it.
Nameberry was nice enough to put together a very thorough list of the top 100 (for boys and for girls), but I’m only going to cover 10 — so be sure to check out their full list of Top Baby Names of 2014 — so far.
- 1. Imogen: Gah! I love this name, but I don’t think I’d ever be brave enough to use it.
- 2. Charlotte: I know a handful of baby girls with this name, and for good reason — it’s a lovely classic.
- 3. Isla: I recently met a girl with this name, pronounced eye-la. Never would have thought that was an option on how to say this name, but I dig it (either way).
- 4. Cora: With the Downton Abbey craze, I’m not at all surprised to see this name on the list!
- 5. Penelope: I just adore this name. And Penny is about as cute of a nickname as you can get.
- 1. Asher: Great name. And I know a little boy (less than a year old!) with this name.
- 2. Declan: I actually know two infants with this name. I think it might be the next Aiden.
- 3. Atticus: This is another name that I wouldn’t be brave enough (or hipster enough) to use, but I do like it.
- 4. Finn: This name actually broke into the gender neutral category, which immediately ruins it for me. I don’t care for gender-neutral names.
- 5. Oliver: I know a few boys with this name. I think it’s a really sweet choice, but I see it getting too popular in another handful of years.
Do any of these names surprise you? Which is your favorite of the bunch? What other names do you think should be on the list?
More on Babble:
Top 20 Baby Names of 2013 — Official List