E-cigarette Kills Puppy: First Case In BritainDanielle Sullivan
Owner Keith Sutton from Redruth wants e-cigarettes labeled as controlled substances after his 12-week-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy died just hours after biting into a liquid nicotine capsule.
Sutton says the capsule fell on the floor and his spunky pup, Ivy, quickly bit into it. Within seconds, she started reacting badly, “frothing at the mouth and vomiting” and he called his vet who said to get her to the animal hospital ASAP. Sutton says they got there within ten minutes and according to Sutton, the vet did everything he could:
‘He gave her an injection of steroids, then put her on a drip and promised to phone us every couple of hours through the night. They said the first 12 hours were critical, and we received a call after 12 and a half hours saying she had passed away. Her lungs and heart had given up.’
The grieving owner blames himself for the pup’s death and advises that these e-cigarette devices need to be kept far away from children and pets. He would also like to see them labeled as controlled substances.
While dogs have died before from chewing on tobacco itself, Ivy is believed to be the first documented case of dog death resulting from the liquid nicotine found in e-cigarettes. Dogs are believed to have an immediate reaction to this liquid nicotine, and owners will notice symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing within 30 seconds.
The World Health Organisation has yet to endorse e-cigarettes and says that people simply do not know what chemicals are contained in the devices or what they are breathing in, and claims that “users are not fully aware of the toxins they are inhaling.”
Anyone who has had a puppy knows how they will eat anything and everything in sight in a matter of seconds, so owners who use e-cigarettes must be absolutely vigilant about keeping them out of reach.
MORE OF MY BABBLE POSTS: