Wedding showers can be hit or miss, but everyone loves a good baby shower. After all, what’s not to love? It’s pretty fun celebrating the mom- and dad-to-be, you get to play entertaining baby shower games that make everyone look ridiculous, and the food is pretty much never-ending.
But every good baby shower also comes with its fair share of memorable moments — some fun, and some … well, maybe not-so-fun. (After all, when you put a bunch of relatives in one room and pump them with mimosas, what do you expect?)
Here are a few things that secretly (okay, or not-so-secretly) happen at almost every baby shower …
- The party host spends hours scouring Pinterest for creative baby shower decor ideas … only to then rush ship a ton of party supplies at the last minute, because all of them were #fails. (Let’s be honest: This person is likely you.)
- Someone causes a little baby name drama by either stealing someone else’s future kid’s name or making a comment under their breath about the future baby-to-be’s name. (Yikes, Aunt Edna!)
- Someone shows up with an elaborate DIY diaper cake, which they stayed up all night constructing. Everyone else is secretly jealous of their skills.
- Someone internally panics about the path of their own life. (Let’s be honest: We’ve probably all done this.)
- Someone pukes in the bathroom. Sometimes it’s the guest of honor, but usually it’s the person who just freaked out about their own life and then downed a bunch of mimosas, along with tiny pink-and-blue cupcakes.
- Someone announces a pregnancy of their own or brings their new baby (who unfortunately screams their head off the whole time).
- Someone gives hand-me-downs from their own baby as a gift, and everyone else silently wonders if they could have just done the same thing.
- Someone tries to out-do everyone else when retelling the “saga” of their own birth story.
- Somebody gets overly competitive about the baby shower games and even has their own team rolling their eyes …
- Someone comes this close to actually eating the mushy chocolate bar (AKA baby poop) that was part of the “Dirty Diaper” game.
- Someone asks slightly inappropriate questions about the baby’s conception.
- Someone’s great aunt keeps loudly asking all the other moms “when they’re going to have another.”
- Someone drops a few thinly-veiled judgments about the birth plan.
- Somebody is confused — they found the couple’s old wedding registry rather than the new baby one, and they’ve purchased a beautiful new waffle iron. OOPS.
- Someone buys clothes so big, the kid won’t actually be able to wear them until they’re in middle school.
- Somebody unofficially declares themselves an expert on literally everything baby-related. They decide to impart all of this wisdom on the unsuspecting guest sitting to their left, who really just wants to eat a darn cupcake in peace.
- Someone observes all of this chaos and makes a mental note to have their tubes tied.
- Someone brings a giant teddy bear. Like, the size of a couch. The mom-to-be’s best friend quickly removes it before she starts to have a panic attack about impending house clutter.
- And last, but not least … It finally sinks in to the expectant parents that this is REAL — and they start getting pretty excited to get back home and start arranging their new nursery (giant teddy bear and all).