Real Women's Stories: Kelly

cute family photos This is part of an ongoing series of real women sharing their stories of infertility and hope. Kelly has been my best friend for over ten years now and was my constant support and source of hope during our struggle. Today she’s brave enough to share her story of waiting, loss and miracles.

My husband and I were high school sweethearts, we dated for five years and one month before we married at the young age of 21. I finished student teaching a year later and was itching to have a baby! I never would have guessed that I would be close to 26 by the time I was a mother.

We were virgins when we married, I had only briefly been on birth control, and never payed much attention to my cycle; but now that we were trying I became obsessed. I made multiple visits to the doctor’s office for blood tests verifying that I was indeed, not pregnant. I was told that I may have had an early miscarriage, but that too much time had passed to verify. Then on Thanksgiving Day 2008, I received the wonderful news that I was pregnant. The weekend was perfect, we had rented a cabin in the woods of Montana, it was beautiful.

At 13 weeks we went in for our first ultrasound, so excited to see our little baby for the first time. They could not find a heartbeat, they could not find a baby. Blood tests confirmed that I had lost the baby; they called it a blighted ovum. A few days later I went in to the hospital to have the placenta removed. We were devastated.

They told me it was good news, that it was good that I got pregnant, that something must have been wrong with the baby. We got tested, they found nothing significantly wrong with either of us. They wanted to do more testing and suggested that I start Clomid.

After a miscarriage everyone is waiting, wondering and asking when it will happen again. It seemed like everyone was telling us to relax and just let it happen. It seemed to me like it would never happen. I gave up.

We decided to move to Australia. My husband had the opportunity to study towards his PhD and so we took it. Two weeks after arriving in Sydney, we conceived our son Parker naturally.

I truly believe that it was all God’s plan. The apartment that we were living in was a 30 minute walk from a bus stop and 45 minutes away from a grocery store, but only a short 10 minutes to the largest women’s hospital in Sydney.

My husband and I grew up fast, falling in love at 16, going to school only 3 hours from home, and getting married so young. The truth is that we would not have gone to Australia if we would have had a baby, and we needed that year. It was the most challenging year of my life, but I am a better person because of it and I would not take that year back for anything.

Parker Patrick was born on March 31, 2010 at the Royal Hospital for Women in Sydney, Australia, after only 2 hours of labor. He was worth the wait.

If you want to share your story, please send it to me to at

Article Posted 5 years Ago

Videos You May Like