Apple and Blackberry Crumble
Egg free, Gluten free
- 4 large apples
- 1 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350°
Peel apples, core and cut into wedges.
Place apples, blackberries, lemon juice and sugar (if using) in an oven proof dish and stir gently to combine.
For the topping, combine butter, sugar, almond meal, coconut and flour.
Stir well to combine and spoon over the fruit.
Bake for 50 minutes or until the topping is golden and the apples are cooked.
Serve warm with cream, vanilla low fat yogurt or ice cream.
Who are we kidding, ICE CREAM!
- Make sure the butter is very soft (You can nuke it in the microwave for 20 seconds) and it all combines beautifully.
- Might be more child friendly with a sweeter apple base.
- Also consider stewing the apples before adding to the dish if your kids prefer apple mush.
- For a more traditional topping (not gluten-free, but nut-free), replace the almond meal and coconut with 1 cup rolled oats.