Arroz Con Pollo
Egg free, Lactose free
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled, and smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Bring a large, heavy-based frying pan to medium heat and then add oil.
Brown chicken pieces in batches, remove and set aside.
Reduce heat, add onion, and carrot and cook until soft, about three minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, cumin, rice, salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Place chicken pieces back in the pan neatly, and cover allowing to simmer on low heat.
Once the rice is nearly ready – about 10 minutes – turn off heat, sprinkle with peas, and cover tightly. Do not open rice for at least another 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
- You can add any vegetables you would like to this instead of peas, such as green beans, zucchini or corn.
- You can sprinkle grated tasty cheese over this too for kids.
- You can also serve with slices of avocado.