Baked Beans with Ham
- 1 pound dried navy beans,
Great Northern beans, or
Cannellini beans, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 pounds ham hock, chopped into pieces by your butcher
- 1 medium onion, sliced finely
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons molasses (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (or any mustard will do)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
Preheat oven to 325°.
In a heavy-based large casserole dish, add soaked beans, and cover entirely in water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for half an hour.
Remove skin and any other visible fat on the hock. Add all remaining ingredients except the last two cups of water to the dish, cover and place in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove hock and dice meat from the bone, and then place the meat back in the dish, discarding bones and fat.
Add the last two cups water and stir through. Put back in the oven for another 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender. Serve immediately as a side dish or over toast.
- Instead of molasses you can use pomegranate molasses or just skip that ingredient, although it imparts a deep, wonderful flavor.
- This is the perfect protein-packed dinner for the whole family.