Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
Lemony cream cheese frosting:
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- Grated rind and juice of one lemon
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and line the base of a 9 inch round cake pan.
Place oil, sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
Sift in flour, baking soda and spices and beat well to combine. Stir in carrots and raisins.
Pour into cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes in pan then turn onto a rack.
To make icing, beat ingredients, spread over cold cake.
- This makes a lovely moist, dense cake and will feed a small army!
- The frosting is like a magnet for kids, and despite the sugar, does mean they get some carrot.
- You can make a gluten-free version using gluten-free flour and baking powder.