- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup butter, diced and chilled
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon iced water
In a food processor add flours, salt and cheese. Blend until combined (about 10 seconds).
Add butter; pulse until it has a breadcrumb texture.
With the motor running, pour in water and egg yolks – it will look like small grains.
Stop the motor, turn mixture into a medium bowl and kneed together with your hands.
Once in a ball, flatten into a disc, wrap in glad wrap and pop into the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
Preheat oven to 350°. Roll out dough on a floured board until ¼ in. thick. Grab the kids and their favorite cutters and start cutting shapes.
Place on a baking tray with baking paper and cook for 15 minutes.
Cool on wire rack.
- When working the pastry, try not to knead it for too long; as soon as it is well combined, let it cool down in the fridge.
- These crackers store well in an airtight container for about a week.