Chicken and Bacon Casserole
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds free range chicken thighs
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup evaporated milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
Trim fat and other yucky bits of the thighs and cut each into two or three pieces.
Heat oil in a heavy based frying pan at medium heat.
Brown the chicken on both sides and transfer to a plate.
You might have to do this in two batches.
Add the onion and bacon to the pan and fry until golden (about 5 minutes).
Return the chicken to the pan, add stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and cook at a low simmer for one hour.
Test the chicken; it should flake apart when prodded.
Stir in the evaporated milk or cream and sage.
Serve over rice or mashed potato.
- If you use evaporated milk (the low fat option), the sauce is a little runny, thicken with 1 tablespoon of corn flour mixed with some cold water.
- Replace the onion with a sliced leek when in season.
- Use 2 teaspoons of dried sage if you don’t have fresh.