Chicken and Corn Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, medium diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup leeks, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup chives, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat a large frying pan on high heat.
Season the diced chicken with salt and pepper then add oil to the pan and sear the meat. When lightly colored, remove from the pan and keep to the side.
In the same frying pan melt the butter, and then add leeks and saut’ for 4-5 minutes.
Add flour and stir through to form a thick paste, cook for 1-2 minutes.
Gradually whisk in milk, stirring continually to prevent lumps. Once all the milk is added, whisk until smooth then add cream and corn. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Add seared chicken and simmer for about 5 minutes for flavors to combine.
Remove from the heat and stir in chives and lemon juice.
Portion the pie mixture into 6-8 ramekins.
Cut out 6-8 puff pastry lids and place on top of your pie mixture making sure the pastry lid is slightly larger than the dish.
Brush the pastry with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds and place pie pots onto one large oven tray and pop in the oven on the middle rack.
Bake for 25-30 minutes then leave to cool for 5 minutes before eating, as they will be very hot.
- These are great to have in the fridge if you know you have a busy week ahead.
- If you don’t have individual ramekins make one large pie – though, you will need to bake it for about 10 minutes longer.