Serving Size: Serves 8
Skill level: Easy
Cook time: 1 1 1/2 hours
Prep time: 20 minutes
Inactive prep time: 1 hour
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, very
- cold and cut into small pieces
- 2—3 tablespoons ice-cold
For the filling:
- 3 ounces bittersweet
- chocolate, very finely chopped
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 14-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Whipped cream, to serve
To make the crust:
1. Combine the flour, salt, sugar, and butter in a food processor and pulse until coarse, with small marbles of butter remaining. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of the ice water, and pulse until crumbly and the dough holds when squeezed together. Add another sprinkle of water if too dry, but do not over mix.
2. Transfer the dough to a plastic zip-top bag, press into a disc, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Press into a pie plate and trim, leaving a 1-inch excess around the edges. Fold under and flute the edges. Cut a piece of parchment or nonstick foil to the size of the pie, and use it to line the piecrust.
Fill with pie weights or dried beans, and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to 325 °F.
To make the filling:
1. In a double boiler, melt the bittersweet chocolate, semisweet chocolate, and butter, stirring frequently until smooth, and remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, light brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Fold in the chocolate mixture, and pour into the piecrust. Place the pie pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325 °F until center of pie has set, about an hour. Cool completely to serve with whipped cream.
Excerpted with permission from The Chew: Food. Life. Fun. by ABC’s The Chew. Copyright 2012 Hyperion/ABC. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All Rights Reserved.