Chocolate-Stuffed French Toast
- 4-ounce semi-sweet chocolate
bar, finely chopped
- 3 ounces Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 6 ounces Italian bread, cut on an angle into 8 (1/2″ thick) slices
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon trans-free margarine
Combine the chocolate and cheese in a small bowl; mix well. Combine the strawberries, sugar, and orange zest in a separate bowl.
Spread 1/4 of the chocolate mixture on 4 slices of bread. Top each with remaining bread and press lightly to form a sandwich.
Combine the eggs, egg whites, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Working one a time, dip both sides of each sandwich in the egg mixture and set on a plate.
Melt the margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides add the sandwiches and cook until golden and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Divide among 4 plates and top each with some of the strawberries. Serve immediately.
- Time: 25 Minutes
- Nutritional Info: 328 Calories
- Monounsaturated Fatty Acid: Olive Oil
Reprinted with permission from Flat Belly Diet! Family Cookbook by Liz Vaccariello and Sally Kuzemchak, RD. Published by Rodale Books.