Date and Walnut Loaf
8 – 10
Egg free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or pecans) chopped
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, stir in sugar and walnuts. Place butter, milk and dates in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until butter melts. Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine and then mix in eggs. Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until cooked when a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in tin for 5 minutes, and then turn onto a wire rack. Really yummy sliced and served warm with butter, but also keeps for morning tea the next day!
- Make this cake gluten-free using gluten-free all-purpose flour and baking powder.