DIY Tuna and Sushi Hand Roll | Dinner Recipes | Best RecipesBabble
DIY Tuna and Sushi Hand Roll
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 6 sheets nori (don’t mention it’s seaweed!)
- Bamboo mat
- 6.5 oz. can of tuna
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 bunch asparagus (optional)
- Soy sauce and pickled ginger, to serve
Place rice and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and leave for 10 minutes covered.
Spread rice into a container and allow to cool, then sprinkle with vinegar. Stir thoroughly.
Drain tuna, mash with fork and stir in mayonnaise. Microwave or steam asparagus until just tender and bright green, refresh under cold water.
Place a sheet of nori, shiny side down on the bamboo mat. Place some of the rice on the sheet, press down with wet fingers to a depth of 1/4 inch, leaving a 1.2 inch gap at one end. Arrange a 1/8 inch wide strip of tuna about 1.2 inch in from the other end. Place one or two spears of asparagus on top of the tuna, with heads overhanging the nori at both ends.
Start rolling up from the end with fillings. Lift the bamboo mat and roll tightly. Wet the strip at the end and push gently to seal the edges. Slice into two or three pieces using a sharp, wet knife.
Place on a serving platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes to allow the nori to soften. Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
- You can buy an Obento box at the supermarket, which has all the basic things you will need, including bamboo mat, but we found it cheaper to buy the items individually. Then we also have more for next time!