Easy Moroccan Chicken with Couscous | Dinner Recipes | Best RecipesBabble
Easy Moroccan Chicken with Couscous
Egg free, Lactose free
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- Thick natural yogurt, to serve
Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add pine nuts, stirring constantly, until just starting to color. Transfer pine nuts to a plate.
Place seasoned flour in a large bowl, add chicken and toss to coat. Add one tablespoon of oil to the frying pan, increase heat to high and cook half the chicken until golden. Transfer cooked chicken to a plate. Repeat with another tablespoon of oil and remaining chicken.
Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in pan. Add onions, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until golden and softened. Add cooked chicken to frying pan with spices, raisins and one cup of stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cook for 5-10 minutes until heated through and thickened. Just before serving, stir in pine nuts, cilantro and lemon juice.
To prepare couscous, bring 2 cups of stock or water to the boil in a small saucepan, stir in couscous and olive oil and turn off heat. Leave for 5 minutes, then use a fork to separate the couscous grains.
Serve chicken with couscous and yogurt.
- You can toast your own pine nuts, or you can pay a bit more and buy them already toasted.
- Make this gluten-free using gluten-free plain flour and stock and serving with rice instead of couscous.