Whole Wheat and Apricot Mini Muffins
Makes 8 adult servings (serving size 3 mini muffins).
For baby: Serve 1 to 2 cooled mini muffins.
- 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1.6 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
3. Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Fold in apricots. Spoon batter into 24 mini muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack.
(For babies ages 12 – 18 months.)
CALORIES 133; FAT 3.2g (sat 1.9g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3g; CARB 23.6g; FIBER 1.4g; CHOL 8mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 159mg; CALC 27mg
Recipes reprinted with permission from Cooking Light First Foods, Oxmoor House © 2010