- 2 cups cooked chick peas. You can get these dry and soak them overnight, then cook them
yourself, or you can just open
up a can of pre-cooked ones. I use dry because they’re cheaper and can linings have BPA in them.
- Several cloves of fresh garlic or the jarred stuff. Chop this finely, or use a garlic press.
- Two tablespoons of sesame tahini. This is a sesame paste that you can probably get at any grocery store, though it’s not prominently displayed. Look in the international or health food sections.
- Two teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt, pepper and paprika
Chop or crush the garlic.
This recipe is a lot like the guacamole. Chick peas are a little tougher than avocados, so if you have a food processor, you may want to put all the ingredients in it and press start. If you don’t, you can do the same thing with a fork and a bowl – it will just take a little longer. Mix it until it’s the consistency you like. Hummus is delicious fresh, and can be kept in the fridge for a week to ten days.
- Make this a ‘sneaky’ dish by stirring in some pumpkin or sweet potato puree:they will never know.