Home on the Range Buffalo Burgers with
Fresh Garden Herbs and Huntsman Cheese
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped anchovy fillets
- 1 1/2 pounds ground buffalo (bison)
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/4 cup thick-and-creamy-style horseradish
- 1/2 cup grated red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces Huntsman cheese (Stilton layered with double Gloucester), cut into 6 equal slices
- 6 cracked-wheat hamburger buns, split
- 6 tablespoons honey mustard
- 4 cups coarsely chopped European-style salad mix
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium high.
To make the mayonnaise, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse about 10 times to blend. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until assembling the burgers.
To make the patties, combine the buffalo, beef, horseradish, onion, and salt in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Form the mixture into 6 equal patties to fit the buns.
Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, about 5 minutes on each side for medium. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the cheese slices on the patties to melt, and place the buns, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
To assemble the burgers, spread the mustard over the bun bottoms and the mayonnaise over the bun tops. On each bun bottom, place the salad mix and a patty. Add the bun tops and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Burger Parties: Recipes from Sutter Home Winery’s Build a Better Burger Contest by James McNair and Jeffrey Starr, copyright © 2010. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
Photography by Dan Mills, copyright © 2010 Sutter Home Family Vineyards