Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 2-3 chicken breast fillets (about 1.5 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices day-old bread
- 1/3 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- optional: 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- optional: 2 tablespoons mustard or sweet chili sauce (available at Thai groceries)
Tear bread into pieces and grind in a food processor to get fine bread crumbs.
Slice chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Put the flour on a large square of wax paper.
Whisk eggs in a small bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, cornflake crumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Coat the chicken pieces in flour, dust off, dip in egg wash and then coat in crumb mix. You may need to press the crumbs on. Place the coated chicken pieces onto a baking tray lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°C and bake the chicken for 10 minutes or until cooked through. To make a dipping sauce, combine mayonnaise and either mustard or sweet chili sauce in a small bowl.
Serve nuggets with dipping sauce.
- This is a great entr’e or appetiser – prepare in advance and then just bake before serving. Serve with a potato salad and/or green salad for a main meal.
- I love sweet chili mayo, but my kids are more than happy to stick with good ol’ tomato sauce.