Egg free, Nut free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tablespoon freshly chopped oregano)
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 x 14oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup grated mozzarella (or bocconcini, cut into little pieces)
- 14oz instant lasagna sheets or 13oz packet fresh lasagna sheets
Bechamel cheese sauce:
- 3.5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onion, carrot and celery and cook until lightly browned. Add garlic and oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
Add meat and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to combine. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
To make the cheese sauce, place the butter in a saucepan and melt over a medium-low heat. Stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until the mixture begins to bubble. Slowly add the milk, a ladleful at a time, whisking until all the milk is added and the sauce is smooth.
Remove from the heat, season well with salt and pepper and stir in half the parmesan until combined and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. In an 8 inch x 12 inch baking dish, layer the meat sauce, then the cheese sauce, mozzarella and lasagna. Repeat the layering twice more, finishing with a layer of lasagna, then cheese sauce and the remaining parmesan. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Rest for 10 minutes (you and the lasagna!) before serving. Great on its own or with veggies or salad.
Like many baked dishes, lasagna is often better the next day when the flavors have developed.