Light, Luscious Lemon Chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, separated
- 3 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cauliflower puree (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 skinless, skinless chicken breast cutlets (about 2 1/4 pounds)
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, saut’ the chopped garlic in 1 teaspoon of the olive oil until it begins to turn golden brown. Add the chicken broth, turn the heat to high and reduce by half, about 8 minutes. Add the lemon juice.
2. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the boiling chicken broth. The mixture will thicken quickly. Add the cauliflower puree. Sprinkle in parsley, if desired. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, begin heating the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Whisk the egg whites and egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the flour, salt and garlic powder on a large plate. Dredge each chicken cutlet in the seasoned flour and then dip in the egg mixture. Drop the cutlets directly into the heated skillet. Saut’ 4 to 5 minutes per side, until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Add the lemon sauce and cook 2 to 3 minutes more to combine flavors. Serve.
Cauliflower Puree Puree:
Prep: Cut off florets and discard the core.
Cook: Steam for 8 to 10 minutes.
Puree: Use a food processor or blender for about 2 minutes, with a few teaspoons of water if needed for a smooth, creamy texture.
Calories: 333, Carbohydrate: 18g, Protein: 45g, Total Fat: 8.5g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Sodium: 565mg, Fiber: 3g
Excerpted from Double Delicious courtesy of Harper Collins.