Marble Birthday Cake
10 – 12
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter,
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon milk, extra
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 8 inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
Add the vanilla extract and then the eggs one at a time, beating well between adding each egg.
Add the sifted flour and milk in two batches and mix until just combined.
Divide the mixture between three bowls. Use the red food coloring to tint the mixture pink in one bowl, mix well. Add the sifted cocoa and extra milk into another bowl and mix well.
Drop spoonfuls of each mixture into the cake pan. Swirl knife through the mixture once or twice (don’t over do it).
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
To make icing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and beat until smooth. Spread on cold cake.
- This has to be an all time kids favorite! Also highly suitable for grown-ups at morning tea time.
- We used a chocolate icing for this cake, but if you have the time and inclination, make pink and white for a marbled icing effect.
- Make this cake gluten-free using gluten free plain flour and 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder. Make sure your icing is gluten free.