Meringue Snowflakes Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 oz. egg whites (about 2 medium egg whites)
- Edible silver glitter
- Edible silver balls
- A piping bag, fitted with a star tip
- 2 baking sheets, lined with baking parchment
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Tip the sugar into a small roasting pan. Put it in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes until hot to the touch-be careful not to burn your fingers!
3. Turn the oven down to 225°F.
4. Place the egg whites in a large, clean mixing bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat the egg whites (with an electric whisk, if necessary) until they’re frothy.
5. Tip the hot sugar onto the egg whites in one go and continue to whisk on high speed for about 5 minutes until the meringue mixture is very stiff, white, and cold.
6. Spoon the meringue mixture into the prepared piping bag. Pipe little blobs of meringue onto the prepared baking sheets in the shape of snowflakes. Scatter silver glitter or silver balls over the top.
7. Put the sheets in the preheated oven. Bake for about 45 minutes or until crisp and dry. Turn off the oven, leave the door closed, and let the snowflakes cool down completely inside the oven.
Credit: Christmas Cooking with Kids by Annie Rigg. Ryland Peters & Small, $19.95. Photo credit: Lisa Linder