Robin Miller’s Roast Beef Empanadas with Cilantro Sour Cream
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups shredded roast beef
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 9-inch refrigerated pie crusts
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the roast beef, salsa, roasted red peppers, both types of cheese, and cumin. Mix well to combine.
Roll each pie crust into a 12-inch circle. Divide the beef mixture into four equal portions on top of one crust, placing one mound on each of four “quadrants.” Top with the second crust. Using a pizza slicer or pastry wheel, cut the circle into four equal wedges. Pinch the edges together to seal and transfer the empanadas to the prepared baking sheet. Using a fork, press into the edges of each empanada to ensure the seal. Using a sharp knife, make small slits in the top of each empanada to allow steam to escape during baking.
Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Meanwhile, to make the cilantro sour cream, in a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lime juice, and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the empanadas with the cilantro sour cream on the side for dipping.
- The dough is super easy and perfect for a busy weeknight because it takes advantage of refrigerated pie crusts; they bake up to golden perfection and provide the ideal outer layer for the surprise inside. Make a double batch and freeze the extras (before baking).
Reprinted from Robin Rescues Dinner by Robin Miller. Copyright © 2009. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House, Inc.