Gluten free, Lactose free, Nut free
- 2lbs beef sirloin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine oil, basil, garlic, peppercorns and a dash of salt in a mortar and pestle (or blender), begin pounding until you have a thick paste.
Add mustard and fold through.
Season meat with salt and pepper all over and rub with an extra tablespoon of olive oil to just coat the meat.
Heat a frying pan until VERY hot. Sear meat on all sides until it is slightly brown all over, then place onto a roasting tray.
Spoon the mustard mixture over the meat and immediately place in the oven.
Roast in oven for 30 minutes then take out, cover in foil and rest for 15 minutes.
This will give you medium-rare roast beef – however, you can follow the time guidelines in the Notes for medium to well-done temperatures.)
- The beauty of a roast is its flexibility – you can feed the masses or 1-2 people.
- Keep in mind when roasting beef at this temperature that you need to cook meat for approx 15 minutes for every 1lb of meat to serve it rare to medium-rare. For medium to well-done beef, add another 15-20 minutes to cooking time.
- You must, must rest the meat before carving for best results.
- Dijon mustard is also great to use if you don’t have wholegrain mustard.