- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 package (16-ounce) mini penne pasta
- 1 jar (26-ounce) pasta sauce
- 1 container (5-ounce) diced bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar (4.5-ounce) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (3.8-ounce) sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 package (3.5-ounce) sliced pepperoni (25 slices)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 roll (8-ounce) garlic breadsticks
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook penne for 7 minutes or until tender but not quite al dente. Drain well. In a large bowl, stir together cooked penne, pasta sauce, chopped peppers, and Italian seasoning. Stir in 3 cups of the mozzarella cheese until well mixed. Transfer to prepared dish. Sprinkle 1 cup of the remaining mozzarella over top. Top with sliced mushrooms and olives. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of mozzarella over top. Arrange pepperoni slices over mozzarella; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
3. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove breadstick dough from can and separate into individual strips. Fold each strip in half and twist. Remove casserole from oven and place twisted dough around edge of baking dish. Return to oven; bake for 15 to 18 minutes more or until breadsticks are golden brown. Serve hot.
Excerpted from the book, Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Comfort Food, by Sandra Lee Copyright © 2010 SLSH Enterprises, Inc. www.sandralee.com