Soccer Field Birthday Cake
- 4 boxes of vanilla cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups of milk
- Butter for greasing cake pan
- 1 1/4 stick softened butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup of cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons green food coloring
- 1 can of soft frosting in white (whatever flavor you like)
- Drinking straws
You will need a Dolly Varden cake pan (ours has top diameter 8 inches, base diameter 2 inches, height 5 inches) and a 12 inch cake board or plate for this recipe. Most cake decorating shops have a kit called “Wonder Mold Kit” by Wilton that includes the spherical pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease 13 x 9 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper
- Prepare cake batter as per directions preparing two at a time and pour all together into baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 -45 minutes.
- Check with a skewer at the 35 min mark. If the skewer comes out clean remove from oven.
- Cool cake and level the top with a sharp serrated knife.
- Turn upside down on cake board or foil lined tray.
Using an electric beater cream butter until light, pale and fluffy. Slowly add in sifted confectioners sugar and cocoa. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time until you reach desired the consistency. Cover cooled cake with a generous coating of icing.
- Pour food coloring into coconut and stir until all the coconut has been colored.
- Slide parchment paper around the edges of the cake and gently shake a generous amount of coconut over the top.
- Remove paper with excess coconut and discard.
- Outline the shape of the field with a tube of prepared icing, marking halfway and goal posts.
- Fashion some goal posts from straws and clear sticky tape.
- You could, of course, turn this into a football field :
- Cooking time really depends on the size of your cake pan – if it is smaller than ours (see above), cook for a shorter time, if larger, cook for longer. Also, Dolly Varden pans are an unusual shape, so the top may look a bit over done before the center is cooked. Don’t worry about this, as you will be trimming the top.
- This is the perfect birthday cake for a mom who has all the desire for a whiz-bang cake without much of the skill!