Swiss Cheese Fondue
4 as an entree
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup dry white wine (sauvignon blanc or riesling)
- 8 oz gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 oz Emmental cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon corn meal
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau
- cubes of crusty bread, to serve
Peel the garlic clove, slice in half and rub the inside of a heavy-based pan with garlic, then discard garlic. Place pan over low heat, add wine and bring to a boil.
Add cheeses in small handfuls, stirring constantly. Keep stirring for 8-10 minutes until cheese has melted. Mix corn meal with Cointreau, add to cheese mixture and stir until the mixture combines into a smooth creamy texture.
Transfer to a fondue pot set over a lit flame or rest over another pan of just-boiled water.
Keep stirring at the table to prevent the fondue becoming lumpy or sticking to the pan. If the fondue becomes too thick, thin down with some warmed wine.
Serve with bread for dipping.
- Try other accompaniments such as steamed potatoes, carrot and celery sticks, pickled vegetables, apple and pear wedges.