My “valentine” (aka, my dear husband of almost 3 years) suggested Monte Cristos when I conferred with him for ideas for my annual Valentine’s Day
Panini. Hot ham and swiss sandwiches grilled French toast style with powdered sugar and jam sounded sufficiently decadent to be considered special occasion fare. It’s a simple way to say, “I love you”, but man is it a tasty one.
Valentine’s Day Monte Cristo Panini
- Dijon mustard
- 4 slices country bread
- Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- Ham, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Raspberry preserves
- Preheat the panini grill to medium heat.
- Spread mustard on the bread. Layer 2 of the bread slices with Swiss cheese, ham, and cheese again. Place remaining bread slices on top.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, turning to coat well.
- Carefully place the sandwich onto the panini grill. Close the lid and grill for 4-5 minutes until the bread is lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Dust the top with confectioner’s sugar and, if desired, spoon a little raspberry preserves in the shape of a heart in the center. Another idea is to stencil in a little heart motif with the confectioner’s sugar.