Vegetable Spring Rolls | Dinner Recipes | Best RecipesBabble
Vegetable Spring Rolls
- 1/2 cup Asian vermicelli noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Chinese cabbage,
- 1 cup canned bamboo shoots, chopped roughly
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- Low-sodium soy sauce, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 packet spring roll wrappers
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Sweet chilli sauce or Hoisin sauce to serve
In a mixing bowl, cover the noodles in boiling water and stand for 5 minutes. Drain and chop into small pieces.
Bring a wok or non-stick frying pan to a high heat, and add oil. Add garlic, cabbage, bamboo shoots, carrot and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
Stir through noodles and chestnuts. Add soy sauce to taste and a few good grinds of pepper. Set aside to cool completely.
On a clean countertop, place a small bowl with the beaten egg close to your work space.
Lay a spring roll wrapper on the counter and turn it diagonally to make a diamond shape.
Fill with 1 1/2 tablespoons filling in the center of the wrapper and wrap the bottom half of the wrapper over the top of the filling. Tuck each side inward then using your fingertips wipe the edges of the top part of the diamond with a little egg, and then roll the wrapper to close it.
Continue until you have used all the mixture and then cover with a damp tea towel.
Clean your wok or frying pan, and bring to a medium heat, add vegetable oil. Wait a few minutes for the oil to heat up. Dip one end of a spring roll into the oil – if it doesn’t sizzle, the oil is not ready.
When the oil is ready, fry the spring rolls in batches until lightly golden on all sides.
Place on a plate lined with paper towels, and serve immediately with sweet chilli or Hoisin sauce for dipping.
- We suggest vegetable oil for the frying oil because it is relatively tasteless, but you could use peanut oil, canola, or grapeseed if you like. You can even use Rice-bran oil as it has a high smoking point, perfect for frying.