Sneaky Stovetop Mac ‘n’ Cheese by Caroline Lubbers of WhippedBabble
Sneaky Stovetop Mac ‘n’ Cheese
by Caroline Lubbers of Whipped
Your kids will never know you are sneaking them pureed veggies in their mac ‘n’ cheese. And, unlike baked recipes, this stovetop version will allow you to whip this up quickly.
- 1/2 lb. elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup pureed butternut squash
- 1/2 cup pureed carrots (you may substitute a cup of frozen squash for the squash and carrots)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of nutmeg (optional)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Boil water and cook the pasta according to directions. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir to combine.
Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add milk slowly while stirring with a whisk.
Cook over medium heat until sauce thickens (about 10 minutes). Stir in vegetable puree and add salt and nutmeg.
Remove from heat. Sprinkle in cheese while stirring slowly to combine. Add drained pasta to the sauce and stir.
Serve immediately or freeze individual portions for easy, microwaveable meals.