Get the Skinny: Wearing, Buying, and Styling Skinny JeansMerrick White
For the next couple of days let’s talk about jeans. There are so many different styles of jeans that it’s sometimes hard to figure out which jeans are the best for your body type. And even if you figure that out, then what do you wear them with, or where do you buy them? Today let’s cover all of those things.
First up, the skinny jean.
Skinny jeans were definitely created with the beanpole-silhouetted woman in mind, but after several years in mainstream fashion, I think we can all agree that they can look great on everyone (tall, short, curvy, pear shaped…everyone!), as long as you know how to style them properly for your body type.
So now that we know we can all wear them, let’s go through the most common body types and talk about how to style them.
If you are:
- Tall and thin: you can wear any color, any style, any wash, and any length (long, cuffed, cropped, etc). Pair them with oversized blouses to accentuate your thin legs, with fitted tops to show off any tiny curves you might have, with heels to create an even taller look, or with structured tops. Seriously, anything goes.
- Petite: make sure you are only shopping in the petite section. Cuffing your jeans will make you look even shorter! If you wear oversized tops with your skinny jeans, make sure they are hip-bone length at the longest so they don’t overwhelm your small frame.
- Curvy: skinny jeans are so great on curvy girls because they show off all those…well, curves, obviously. With wider hips and bust, make sure that you’re wearing tops that come in at your natural waist to define the smallest part of your body. Peplum tops are perfect, or if you wear an oversized top, throw on a skinny belt to accentuate your waist and give yourself the perfect hourglass shape. A fitted blazer is also a great addition to nip in your waist.
- Top Heavy: Focus on those thin legs by trying patterned or colored skinny jeans. Pair with structured tops, like button ups and blazers, or oversized tops that will downplay your top and keep the attention on your gams.
- Pear Shaped: try darker wash options, and stay away from the super light colors that will draw more attention to your bottom half. Pair them with embellished top to balance out your outfit and draw equal attention to the upper and lower halves of your body. Fitted blazers are also a great choice, which will provide some structure and width in your shoulders while not adding bulk up top.
And finally, where to buy them. My favorite brands to wear are Gap, Old Navy, Dittos, American Eagle, and Abercrombie. They’re affordable, lots of good selections, comfortable (I almost always buy jeggings, and all of these brands jeggings are still a nice denim, they’re just stretchy), and pretty true to size.
Now go get skinny jean shopping and skinny jean wearing — no excuses!