Let’s talk about boyfriend jeans. They’re a trend that hit the stores a couple of years ago, and within the last year and a half women everywhere have full-heartedly embraced them. They are a great pair of jeans that can be a fun and relaxed alternative to your regular jeans, and make for a cute look when worn correctly. So let’s talk about who should wear them, how to wear them, and where to buy them!
Who can wear them?
If you are:
- Tall and thin: These definitely work for you. Everything works for your body type. However, be careful that you don’t get a pair that’s too big and baggy that will drown your thin figure.
- Petite: Boyfriend jeans can definitely work for petite girls. But go for a more fitted pair so you don’t look like you’re a little girl wearing your moms jeans.
- Curvy: Be careful with these jeans. Make sure that you go for a pair that’s more fitted. Also, the length you roll or cuff them to is important — go for about an inch above your ankle bone, so the jeans elongate your body and don’t cut off the line of your leg.
- Top Heavy: These are not the most flattering jeans for your body type. The nature of boyfriend jeans is that they add volume on your lower half, which hides the smaller part of your body, and makes your whole body look wider. Stick to slim fitting jeans to accentuate the smallest part of your body.
- Pear Shaped: You have to be aware of the same thing the top heavy girls do. Boyfriend jeans add bulk to your bottom half, which will make your top look even smaller, creating an unbalanced proportion. Stick to wide-leg jeans, straight leg, or skinny jeans.
Here’s 3 tips for styling them:
1. Add a feminine piece. Whether it’s jewelry, heels or lipstick, adding a touch of femininity helps keep your outfit from being too manly. My red shoes with a big bow on top are the perfect feminine accessory that offsets the masculinity of my jeans.
2. Watch your proportions. There are lots of variations of boyfriend jeans — some more fitted, others much more baggy. Whichever kind you choose, make sure your top is proportional. For example, don’t pair an huge oversized blouse with your very baggy boyfriend jeans since it will make you look oversized all over. My polka dot top below is oversized, but is proportionally similar to my jeans, which makes the outfit feel casual and relaxed, but not baggy and frumpy.
3. Add structure. A blazer, peplum, a collared shirt or a belt all can add great structure to help balance the looseness of your boyfriend jeans. It will keep your outfit from becoming shlumpy (and yes, I just made up that word). A fitted blazer and a pair of sharp heels creates a nice balance against the boyfriend jeans.
Where can you find a few good pairs?
This medium-dark wash pair from Gap for $69.95 is one of my favorites.
I love this pair from Express for $79.90. A great slimmer fit.
This J.Crew pair for $125 is a totally different take on the boyfriend jean with a slimmer fit and a large cuff, but I totally love it.
If you want a pair that’s not distressed, this pair from Gap for $69.95 is a good lighter wash option.
This pair from Old Navy for $34 is a pretty dark wash and a super great price.