I have always loved music. I love to play music and to hear music. At this point in my life, I can stumble my way through at least four instruments: guitar, ukelele, piano, and flute. I wouldn’t say I’m an expert at any of these but I can jam when jamming is required. I also love to sing.
Whether it’s listening, dancing, singing or all of the above, we try to have lots of music opportunities in our house on a daily basis.
It’s a good thing. It often puts the kids in a great mood (see photo), and as it turns out, it’s also brain food!
Here are 5 reasons why music should be a daily part of your toddlers’ lives!
1. It increases their sensory development: Hearing a variety of sounds allows them to make more connections in their brains.
2. It’s a mood lifter: Is your toddler having a tantrum? Music could help turn that around.
3. Music can be soothing: Right before bedtime, try turning on some relaxing music to set the tone that it’s time to wind down.
4. Music helps build literacy: Songs introduce kids to a variety of words, thus increasing their vocabulary. It also helps them to learn letters and numbers.
5. Music builds rhythm and develops coordination. Need I say, more?
Does your toddler love music? What kinds of musical activities do you do with your toddler?