Well, it’s that time of year again. This is the time when seemingly normal friends and families become obsessed with college football. I haven’t found a way to stop this annual phenomenon yet, so I figured I had better get on board.
This year, along with trying out many new game day recipes, I entertained myself by getting my toddler’s take on each of the college mascots as they roamed the sidelines throughout the season.
Here you have it, folks!
- University of Minnesota’s Goldy Gopher: That beaver wants to munch on a log! He’s so cute!
- University of Alabama’s Big Al: He’s like the elephants at the zoo, but pretend. I just don’t know how he got that shirt on him.
- Texas Christian University’s Super Frog: What is he, Mommy? A seashell? I put him on my ear and hear the ocean.
- Syracuse University’s Otto the Orange: That’s a Cutie orange from the grocery store! He has a little face on him!
- University of Georgia’s Uga: Awwwwwwww I love him and his pink tongue. His face is a little pouty; maybe his team dropped the ball.
- University of Miami’s Sebastian the Ibis: He put his foot in for the Hokey Pokey! He’s good at the hokey pokey but he thinks about it a lot.
- University of Nebraska’s Herbie Husker: I don’t know, Mommy. Is that Grandpa John?
- University of Maryland’s Testudo the Terrapin: A turtle with a beak?! That’s kind of silly.
- University of Notre Dame’s Leprechaun: Mommy! He’s playing ‘open shut them’ with his hands.
- Ohio State University’s Brutus: That peanut has stripes on him!
- University of Oregon’s Duck: Oh. My. Goodness. It’s Donald Duck!
- Stanford University’s Tree: That’s an asparagus! I looooooooooove asparagus. (Sidenote: when I asked her about this one, she had a friend over for a playdate. The friend vehemently disagreed, saying that it was most definitely a cactus with a lot of lipstick on. Both girls agreed that this was one of their favorites.)
- Western Kentucky University’s Big Red: I think he’s an M&M, but I’m not so sure. I like M&M’s.
- University of Colorado’s Ralphie the Buffalo: He’s a handsome, fluffy cow. He looks very big and strong.
- Louisiana State University’s Mike the Tiger: That’s a Tiger. Madeline would go to the zoo and say “poo poo” to him! (reference to the Madeline book series)
- Stephen F. Austin State University’s Lumberjack: That looks like daddy’s friend, Kyle! But Kyle always wears sleeves. That guy’s sleeves are missing somewhere.
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette’s Cayenne: Is that a teapot? Oh, wait, no. It’s a strawberry.
- University of Texas as Austin’s Bevo: He’s so spotty like a Dalmatian dog. He’s a Dalmatian cow!
- Clemson University’s Tiger: He’s a Tiger with button eyes!
- Michigan State University’s Sparty: What kind of leprechaun is that one?
- University of Oklahoma’s Sooner Schooner: A Hayride! Do they have some pumpkins to pick?
- University of Iowa’s Herky the Hawk: That bird is a little bit scary. Not like Big Bird at all.
- Florida State University’s Cimarron: Oh my goodness. It’s a Dalmatian horse!
- University of North Carolina’s Rameses: That’s a cute dancing cow!
- University of Utah’s Swoop: He’s a bird with a bushy fox tail!
- Temple University’s Owl: Is that a cardinal bird or something? He looks kinda mad.
- University of Arkansas’s Big Red: I don’t really know, Mommy, he could be a pig or a cow. Do you think his skin is fluffy or rough?
- University of Wisconsin’s Bucky Badger: He is a very, very nice skunk. I bet he smells good, not like most skunks.
- Penn State University’s Nittany Lion: That teddy bear is wearing a scarf like a snowman does!
- University of Florida’s Albert and Alberta Gator: A mommy and a daddy alligator together! They are going on a date to a restaurant to eat pasta. See you later, alligator! (Toddler immediately cracks up laughing).
If you love football, this New Year’s Eve is bigger than ever! Don’t miss the college football playoff semifinals on ESPN starting at 4pm ET. And later, join Ryan Seacrest on ABC for one epic party on New Year’s #RockingEve live 8|7c on ABC.